Fine imposed on Worcestershire worker after catching Hepatitis C virus
A health care worker was diagnosed with hepatitis C after injuring herself on a needle, according to reports.
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust has been fined of £12,5000 after crossing the health and safety laws of February 2007.
The court case was unveiled by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who claimed that the healthcare employee’s infection could have been avoidable.
The hospital trust has also asked to pay an extra £9,500 adhering to the costs of the same. Magistrates in Worcester claim that the unnamed worker had withdrawn blood from a patient known to be infected with the virus.
She had difficulty disposing of the needle in the correct bin, due to unavoidable circumstance and in the meanwhile, caught her wrist on the needle as she reached for a tissue.
After the hearing HSE stated that the staff member was unaware of the situation and has been supervised clearly whilst the training procedure when the injury occurred.
An HSE spokeswoman said: "This infection was entirely preventable. The risks and controls are well known and the trust should have had an effective safe system of work in place."
John Rostill, chief executive of the trust, has laid apologies for the matter and claimed that the trust will completely co-operate with the HSE investigation.
On Saturday, February 3, several thousand people...Read More
For those who have had dreams of spending a night...Read More
Mountain climber Elisabeth Revol was found on the...Read More
It's not every day that a children's magazine...Read More
On Monday, flood waters reached their peak in Paris...Read More